- Thursday, March 21, 2019
- Facilitators: Dr. Copeland/ Ms. Triplett
- Time: 4:00-5:30
In attendance: Dr. Christine Copeland, Tracy Triplett, Christian Dibble, Ezy Nwankwo, Morgan Hayward, Kimmy Lee, Patrick Donovan, Sachian Machon, Karen Perakis, Akua-Nia Francillon, Sean Greenhalgh
|4:00-4:10||10||Review Minutes from Last Meeting|
|4:10:4:30||20||Update on Grant Applications JFK/Mendell Summer Program Rising 1st Grade Rising 2nd Grade Rising 3rd Grade Update on K-5 Expansion MCAS Testing|
|4:30-4:40||10||Roll out of MyWay Cafe K-6 Expansion Work|
Reviewing last meeting’s minutes:
- K-6 Expansion
- (Question PD): 2 more classrooms expansion. Are we adding in 2 sixth grade classes? Yes!
Update Grant Applications:
- The JFK did not receive the grant.
- Grant doesn’t fund individual schools.
- Potentially register school with Amazon Smiles.
- School received soft landing money – $20,000
JFK/Mendell Summer Program
- Opportunity for the rising 1st, 2nd, & 3rd graders @ Mendell school during the summer
- At the last professional development the teachers drafted a letter for parents
- Academic component in the morning and enrichment in the afternoon. Teachers from JFK & Mendell are invited to apply to teach.
- Great opportunity for ELLs (English Language Learners)
Last week received 150 chromebooks (5 chromebook carts!). Goal is to be 1:1 so each student can have their own Chromebook.
- Happening soon for grades 3rd, 4th, & 5th graders
- Grades 3 & 4 – ELA and Math
- Grades 5 – ELA, Math, & Science
- Grade 3 & 4 & 5 – ELA Testing starts the week of April 8th
ELA completed before April Break
Similar to last year everything is computer based. Last year was the 1st year on with the online testing.
Lang Lang’s Key of Inspiration
- JFK meet all the requirements
- This would supplement the music class
- We could get a piano lab and that would be placed in the auditorium
- ~30 keyboards and a piano for the teacher (school had one donated a few years ago) Fundraising for the arts – had from a few years ago and there is still money in that fund.
- Deadline – no real set deadline but ideally 2 weeks. Dr. Copeland will send it to the music people at central office and they would send to Lang Lang’s
Update from Parent Council:
- A lot of enthusiasm for the movie night.
- Beach Party – 3/26 5:00 – 6:45
- Wellness Night
- Coach Jonah is helping to plan that
- Potentially will have Fresh Truck
- STEM Night
- Raffle off American Girl Dolls and Robot
- Sometime in June
- My Way Cafe (survey was sent to parents, overall positive).
- Gives the kids more choices….similar to Chipotle/salad bar
- Covered by the shaw foundation
- A few moms went to see it at the PFK (Patrick Kenny) and was positive
- Encourages students to make more healthy choices
- 1 or 2 staff person…paid by the Shaw
- Students would go to the cafeteria to get hot food for breakfast
- Late comers – A cart in the office and students can go grab and go
- JFK has one of the highest numbers in the district ~80% of students eat breakfast and lunch
- Cafeteria is open during 1st period. Will observe the Mendall in the future
- Bake Sale – May (Trying Jackson Square instead of Forest Hill)
- Music application complete and see if it makes sense for our community
- Explore MyWay Cafe
- Field Day tshirts
- Camile is looking into designs and cost.
- Coach Robinson will send out paperwork.
- Design hopefully will be done by the next governing board
- Next Meeting: Thursday, April 25th. There is a May meeting scheduled (incase there were snow days) but April could potentially be the last meeting